IHJ-64-BLK Japanese Horsehide Modified Type III Black Tea-Core
Iron Heart themselves consider this leather to be the best of the best: "This is seriously the nicest horsehide leather we have ever seen from any tannery anywhere".
This jacket is made from Japanese horsehide, which is tea-core chrome-tanned in Himeji, Japan, giving it exceptional durability and quality. The Modified Type III Jacket has a slightly longer body than the original Levi's version, making it a more modern and versatile piece. In addition, it features two external hand-warmer pockets, two internal "gun" pockets, and an olive cotton twill lining, which add both functionality and style to the jacket.
Many view horsehide as the ideal choice for both jackets and boots, as it is much stronger and has superior durability when compared to cowhide. It is also arguably more weather-resistant due to the grain structure. Horsehide tends to have a coarser grain, which also lends it greater texture and attractive variation, as per the natural material.
- Made in Japan
- Modified type III jacket
- Slightly longer body than traditional type III jackets
- Chrome tanned horsehide from a tiny tannery in Himeji, which is the tanning capital of Japan
- Tea-core dyed, so the leather underneath the surface is brown, not black. Over time, this brown core will become visible in high-wear areas
- Hides vary between 1.2 and 1.6mm, and are chosen on a panel by panel basis
- Olive cotton twill lining
- Bronze hardware
- Two external chest pockets
- Two external handwarmer pockets
- Two internal "gun" pockets with snap closures
- The initial sheen of this leather will soften with age